Wednesday, April 17, 2024
World / AsiaWorld News

Indonesian military confirms authenticity of torture video, detains 13 of its own


It was unknown if the soldiers were detained at the time of the alleged torture, or only once the videos surfaced on social media over the weekend.

“We will investigate it thoroughly,” said Papua military commander, Major General Izak Pangemanan, referring to Defianus’ torture. “Nobody should escape – those who were involved will be punished in accordance with the existing laws.”

The military leadership at Monday afternoon’s press conference said that their soldiers had earlier received intelligence about planned arson at a health clinic.

According to the military’s account, soldiers and police trying to secure the clinic were fired at, bringing about the arrests of three Papuans.

Pangemanan said Warinus, alleged to be one of the shooters and a “fugitive of Puncak police”, jumped out of the car on the way to the police station.

“Perhaps due to imbalance, he fell and his head hit a stone,” Pangemanan said. “He died on the way to the community health centre.”

Defianus had admitted to previous violence – including the wounding of a soldier – and the arson plot, the generals said. As such, their members became “emotional”. Jules Ongge from the Papuan Human Rights Advocacy Association, said soldiers had been known to use torture to produce confessions.

Indonesia does not allow foreign media into Papua, making it difficult to independently verify and document this and other incidents.

Exiled West Papua pro-independence leader Benny Wenda said they were not uncommon. Also last month, he said, Indonesian soldiers tortured two 15-year-old boys.

“Though it is extreme and shocking, this video merely exposes how Indonesia behaves every day in my country,” Wenda said.

“How many victims go unnoticed by the world? How many incidents are not captured on film?

“There is an urgent need for states to take more serious action on human rights in West Papua.”

Loading

The independence movement in Papua, which borders Papua New Guinea, has been active since the early 1960s.

“We are grateful that more than 100 countries have called for a visit by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights,” Wenda said.

“But Indonesia clearly has no intention of honouring their promise, so more must be done.”

In Jakarta last month, Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles re-affirmed Australia’s position of not supporting Papuan independence.

Marles was visiting defence minister and now president-elect Prabowo Subianto, an ex-general accused of historical human rights abuses in Papua and elsewhere.

In February last year, armed rebels in Papua kidnapped New Zealand pilot Phillip Mehrtens and have attempted to use him as leverage in getting Indonesia to the bargaining table.

Wenda has previously called for Mehrtens’ release.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *